The Basilica of Bom Jesus or Basilica do Bom Jesus is a UNESCO World Heritage site, located in Goa. The basilica holds the mortal remains of St. Francis Xavier, a Navarrese-Basque Roman Catholic missionary. The church is located in Old Goa, which was the capital of Goa during the Portuguese rule.
Construction work on the church began in 1594 and was completed in May 1605; it was consecrated by the archbishop Dom Fr. Alexio de Menezes.
The Basilica is one of the oldest churches in Goa. The floor is of marble. Apart from the elaborate gilded altars, the interior of the church is simple.
The mausoleum of St. Xavier was designed by the 17th century Florentine sculptor Giovanni Battista Foggini. It took ten years to complete. The casket containing the body is made of silver. The holy relics of the saint are displayed once in every ten years during the anniversary of the saint’s death.
The church also holds paintings of scenes taken from the life of St. Francis Xavier.